Trail of Terror: The Black Monk of Pontefract, Cripple Creek Jail, Firehouse Phantom, and Other True Hauntings
About this deal
It was at one time, prior to modern construction works being completed, possible to look down from the Saylis upon Watling Street as it snaked through the village of Wentbridge and it is upon this stretch of highway that Robin Hood and his Merry Men are believed to have committed their famous heists. Numerous pubs can be found in the town centre in particular; for example: Beastfair Vaults, the Liquorice Bush, the Red Lion, the Malt Shovel and the Ponty Tavern. Many people even claim they have captured the shadowy figure known as the Black Monk in photographs.
The spirits that roam within 30 East Drive are thought to be no mere whispers of the past – they could be an active and potent force, leaving an indelible mark on all who seek their otherworldly presence. There were also claims that after holy water was sprinkled throughout the home, the poltergeist "responded" by painting upside-down crosses on the living room walls and doors and destroying crucifixes. Likewise, the Fifteenth Century ballad "A Gest of Robyn Hode", appears to make a cryptic reference to the village by depicting a friendly knight explaining to Robin that he 'went at a brydge' where there was 'a wraste-lyng' (wrestling).On one occasion, in particular, a friend of the family was said to have spread “holy water” throughout the house. He was the director of the movie “When the lights went out”, a story of the Pritchard’s account with the Blank Monk of Pontefract. The late, great historians Richard Barrie Dobson and John Taylor indicated that this location provides a very specific clue to Robin Hood's Pontefract heritage, noting that such evidence of continuity makes it virtually certain that the Saylis or Sayles, which was so well known to the Robin Hood of the "Gest" survived into modern times as the 'Sayles Plantation' near Wentbridge.
From 1978 to 1997 the local ex-miner and former local NUM branch leader Geoff Lofthouse (18 December 1925– 1 November 2012) was MP for the former constituency of Pontefract and Castleford.Jean and Joe Pritchard with their son Phillip, 15 years old, and daughter Diane 12 years old moved into 30 East Drive, Pontefract in August 1966. You will then take part in an overnight ghost hunt from 10:00pm until very late, with the best selection of ghost hunting gadgets to use.
Acknowledging this, La' Chance suggested that the Robin Hood legend is loosely based upon the deeds of Swein-Son-Of-Sicga. During attempts, holy water would appear seeping out of the walls, clergymen had their faces slapped or were pushed, and a pair of ghostly hands would appear floating in the air and ‘conducting’ the hymns used to try to expel him. Disturbances allegedly began after the Pritchard family moved into their home in the town of Pontefract.
Freezing temperatures in specific rooms, objects been thrown by invisible forces, slashed photographs, loud crashing sounds, objects vanish to then reappear in another location were other “classic” poltergeists observed. The activity now seemed to become far more intense, especially whenever guests arrived at the Pritchard house. Pontefract was the site of Pontefract Priory, a Cluniac priory founded in 1090 by Robert de Lacy dedicated to St John the Evangelist.